Monday, May 23, 2011

Using Productivity Tools - Spreadsheets and Software Analysis

I'll start this week's reflection by stating that I love spreadsheets!! haha  I particularly love Microsoft Excel because of it's many advanced features.  I would consider myself an advanced user when compared to most spreadsheet users but I am logical enough to know that my knowledge is probably minute compared to all there is to know with this expansive software.  Over the years I have slowly shifted over to spreadsheets for more than half of what I do when I need to create a document with an Office-type program.  Besides the obvious mathematical uses of spreadsheets I find it much easier to organize things like class rosters, lists, and anything that you might want to align in a table or grid.  Spreadsheets also allow you to sort data, unlike word processors.  Some examples of concepts that I have used in various assignments include: graphing, sorting, macros, IF statements and nested IF statements, using built in Functions(RANK, SUM, AVERAGE), and conditional formatting.

We don't have the greatest system for analyzing and purchasing software at my school.  We have a Technology Committee and we have a School Committee and both of those committees have responsibilities when it comes to purchasing books or software but there is a disconnect between the two committees.  I am a member of the technology committee and it is hard to bring up items that might cause potential change because everyone on that committee is a volunteer.  Our head network guru is extremely knowledgeable about everything but if he deems that something might compromise his network or make his job a little more difficult then that item will make it past the suuggestion phase.  I fully understand his position but it is not the best structure for the welfare of the school.  If I had time to serve on both committees I could perhaps be the common link between the two, but I don't.  That's why I make due with the current situation the best I can and try to really take initiative if I have a strong opinion about a piece of software one way or another.  Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

3 comments:

  1. Laurence I agree with you about the Microsoft Excel program. This program is better than using google docs. I had some problems using google docs spreadsheets. I was going crazy!!! I like spreadsheets for figuring out how much I owe on bills or how much I paid to the church. The IF functions are the easiest and best to play with. I think they should teach this classrooms earlier. I don't know which grade level they start teaching this at, but I love it and I'm sure they would too.

    Good observation. Happy Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laurence,

    Good post.

    "I am a member of the technology committee and it is hard to bring up items that might cause potential change."

    For various reasons, education is a static institution when it comes to software purchase and implementation. I don't know what the answer is, but I do know that I will model the use of new software (as much as possible) when I communicate with the staff, and this forces them to interact with a program on a basic level. I also try to utilize as many online programs as possible. This keeps me from making expensive mistakes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the limitations and boundaries set up by the school bureacracy of technology will go away because of the rapid growth in educational technology we have seen and will continue to see. Soon students will have more advanced technology than some of our schools, making it obsolete and shifting the purpose of student-driven technology.

    I think we will see this change sooner than later, and as cost continues to be an issue we will see more parents and students supplying technology rather than the other way around. The free web will encourage this model as well, and it will be interesting to see what we use in our classrooms (or communities) 10 years from now. The iPad has been out for less than 2 years.......

    ReplyDelete