Saturday, January 28, 2012

CEDO 535 - Facilitating Collaboration using Web Tools - Final Post

S Specific - I was trying to choose from two different goals for this final post.  Goal #1 is to get students blogging in the true sense where they are not just responding to a prompt but exploring a topic beyond the original prompt and using each other's responses as a resource.  Goal #2 is to integrate using an RSS reader into my daily or weekly routine so that it may help my professional development.  I know that I will achieve the first goal since I already have things in place for it to happen in the next week or two so I will choose to focus on Goal #2: Using the RSS Reader.  My goal will be to setup and check Google reader on a weekly basis.  If I can manage the weekly monitoring of the RSS reader I may try checking it more frequently.

M Measurable - Proving that I am checking my Google reader is kind of tricky since it is a personal goal and not one that I can show a resulting product as if I were to do something with students.  The only thing that I can think of that will keep me honest is if I tell myself that I will forward at least 1-2 articles from the RSS Reader to colleagues on a weekly basis.

A Attainable - Figuring out how to set it up is not the issue.  It is already setup in my Google account.  I've also found 15-20 good blogs and other informational sources to follow.  I even think that making time for it won't really pose a problem.  The main deterrent for me right now is remembering to check it.  That is why I am going to configure an iGoogle page logged into my account as my home page in my web browsers.  I plan on putting the Google Reader feed as part of the iGoogle page so that as soon as I open up my browser I am smacked in the face with it.

R Realistic - I thought about being realistic when I chose the terms of the goal.  I was tempted to make the frequency of the goal checking it every day but I figured I would start smaller scale by making myself responsible for checking it on a weekly basis.  I thought that was much more realistic and I can always adjust the frequency if I find I need the information more often.

T Timely - Last Friday was the end of the 2nd quarter at my school so I will set the timeline for this to be accomplished for the end of the 3rd quarter which falls on March 28th.  That essentially gives me 8 weeks to achieve this goal.  After the 8 weeks are up I will evaluate whether I met the requirements of the goal and take it from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment