Monday, September 12, 2011

CEDO 525 - Enhanced Learning - Quick responses to Chapters 1-3

     Chapter 1 talked about Setting Objectives.  I thought it was valuable when they talked about standards-based objectives and how rubrics can help achieve a structure for rating and assessing progress towards goals.  There has been a lot more emphasis on standards-based curriculums and lesson design so it is logical that objectives should stem from the standards as well.
     I agree that we should allow students flexibility to personalize their goals and I like the idea of having individual contracts with students.  I think it is unrealistic to be expected to keep track of these individualized contracts, however.  Especially when you factor in student modifications, which I also think is a great idea.  There needs to be some way of reviewing these contracts where the students are held accountable on their own terms so that the teacher isn't trying to go micro-manage in a situation where it is impossible to keep up with.
     I was kind of left confused and in a daze when trying to internalize where the book says "settings goals narrows the student focus" and then they say "but don't make goals too specific" and finally they go on to say "make goals specific but flexible".  I think I understand what they were trying to say, like to make it situational, but it sure was contradictory.
     Chapter 2 talked about Providing Feedback. Three things stood outt in the chapter. The timeliness of the feedback was very important. If feedback isn't provided quickly enough thhan it not as effective because the student can't make adjustments accordingly. Another important emphasis is to make the feedback specific. I mentioned this after reading the Feedback article, but if you just give canned comments like "good job" or "needs improvement" then you are not helping the student get better. I also liked the idea of peer feedback. When students are giving feedback to peers and expecting some in return they tend to be very helpful. A lot of times peer feedback can give students additional insight into their work because it is coming fromm a different perpective.
Chapter 3 covered Providing Recognition. The one thing that stood out to me with this chapter was where they said "symbolic recognition is more effective than tangible rewards". I have always agreed with that logic but now that I have 3 kids ages 2, 4, and 6 I think that tangible rewards definitely have a place. There are times when I mention a simple tangible reward like "a cookie at Pick N Save". I don't think there is any harm in working things like that into the regular routine, especially when it is so effective. I know and agree that symbolic recognition is more valuable in the long run but it takes more time and considerably more work to set up. Sometimes we just don't have the energy to structure everything that way and if it helps keep our sanity then I have no problem handing out a sucker or two from time to time.

No comments:

Post a Comment