Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Google Sites and Software Evaluation

As we enter the last week of the 3rd class, Using Productivity Tools Effectively, one of the tasks we were asked to do was create our own Google site and contemplate it's uses.  I currently use Teacherweb for my classroom website because it is what the school chose and they pay for it.  It is extremely easy and is loaded with features but it is $39/year.  That doesn't sound like much but when you multiply that by 20 (the amount of teachers we have) you're looking at $800.  That's nothing to sneeze at.  I have looked at a few other free options through some of our textbook companies (Scholastic) and various others but they have all been either too limited (my staff needs easy templates and automatic navigation bars/links), too cluttered with ads, etc.  Google sites might just be the resource that I've been looking for.  With a full set of features, somewhat easy design structure, and excellent price tag I think it is worth a try.  Our school uses a custom version of Gmail already (similar to Stritch with Wolfmail) so everyone already has access to Google sites.  I'm hoping that an in-service or two would provide the teachers with enough base knowledge to make use of Google sites.  Google sites could help our school, staff, and students in many ways:

  • Teach simple website creation to students
  • Create a cost effective school website
  • Teachers can create a classroom website, a club website, or just use it as an easily accessible place to share a blog, calendar, videos, or pictures with students and parents
  • Students could use it to create a site to keep track of their school work, calendar, etc
  • Teachers could use it for keeping a portfolio for students on an annual basis or more
From a personal standpoint I could use Google sites to do anything from a family oriented site to a site dedicated to a hobby or interest of mine.


The software evaluation comparisons that we made this week working with our groups were very interesting. I have been at my school for 9 years now and I have never been involved in any of the decision making regarding software so getting some exposure to the evaluation process was a good experience.  I need to be aware of this process if I ever hope to become a Technology coordinator in the true sense.  I looked at three very different methods of evaluation.  One method used a very detailed rubric containing categories which were populated with more detailed line items.  Each line item gets a rating and then the end result is a mathematical representation of the value of the software.  The nice thing about it was the level of detail in the analysis and the amount of flexibility with the line items and rating system.  Another method was less of an evaluation tool and more of a deterrent for staff to request something as an impulse buy.  It was setup more like an application where the requester needed to provide lots of information of support for their proposal.  The last method I looked at was done as a large grid/rubric with generic headings and a simple yes or no answer went in each box depending on if it fit.  This style was excellent for getting a surface analysis of many different software titles quickly.  It would be great for creating a resource in which you could narrow down your search to a few titles and then do a more comprehensive analysis from there.  With my recent joining of our Technology Committee I am eager to provide some input and insight the next time software procurement makes it on our agenda.

4 comments:

  1. Google Sites as part of an education technology package seems like an easy solution to what you are describing with cost. Our district uses School World, and it is actually in our teacher contract that we cannot create school websites outside of the School World domain. As a technology coordinator you have the ability to choose whatever service you choose, and I think as long as you give the teachers support in creating their sites Google will work great.

    I can imagine it is kind of fun to be able to actually evaluate software and decide what to buy for your district. While there are a lot of choices out there, being able to critically look at education software is no simple task. It sounds like you have some great ideas for your school and as you go through this program your skills will continue to develop which will benefit your school in many ways!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laurence, I like how you made a list of ways the google site could help your school, staff, and your students. I agree that the google site is good for just about anything, from personal to work business. It's a good way of sharing ideas and getting use to uploading and making a web page. With the software evaluation I found that interesting using different rubics to decide if a company or school should go with that software or not. At my church I have people coming up to me asking me if such and such is a good software and it amazes me because this is not my normal job to test software. I'm suprise teachers don't have say so over which software they think they should use and how's it affecting them, their classrooms, or the students. Interesting to know!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck on the tech committee. From what I have seen $800 is about the norm for that tier of web product for a school. Most of these services I have seen also host your school web page as well as classroom pages and maybe offer stuff like web locker hosting. If you want to see how the other half lives look at finalsite.com . They cost about $15,000 a year for their school and class pages (that does not even include the initial setup fees). Google as a free alternative seems like a good choice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Google Sites does offer an attractive alternative provided you are working within the guidelines of the district. Many of the integrated features are great, but also can create problems, particularly if your district has strict guidelines of what can be posted where.

    ReplyDelete