Sunday, March 13, 2011

Computer History for Laurence Mala - Post #1

As I reminisce about my early experience with computers I am taken back to 4th grade (1984) where I was fortunate enough to be involved in a program called the G&T (Gifted & Talented) program through the School District of Greenfield.  The program was designed to challenge and provide accelerated opportunities for advanced students.  I don't quite remember the criteria for belonging to this program but this is where I remember having my first exposure to computers.  The computer model that I worked with was an Apple IIe and I remember that the whole Greenfield School District (4 grade schools) only had 2 of them.  From what I remember we worked primarily with various software titles but I know that I was given the opportunity to do some really simple programming with graphics using the BASIC programming language.  I remember using commands like Color=Green, Plot, Hlin, and Vlin.  The Apple IIe used a 5 1/4" floppy drive for a lot of the software but it also had a tape drive.  An interesting aside is that at my very first job as a computer teacher (1998) we still had 4 Apple IIe's that were used for a reading program (Accelerated Reader??) along with a few other popular software titles like Oregon Trail and Number Munchers.  I also had 7 stand-alone PCs running Windows 95 to work with.  No Internet connection - No network.  Ahh...the good old days.

Soon thereafter (about 1988) I convinced my parents to purchase a Commodore 64 for me and that was my very first home computer.   I dabbled a little bit in trying to program with it (again using a form of BASIC) but there was only so much a 12-13 year old could do with a computer at that time.  I had a few software titles that made use of it's computing power like Koala Painter and a word processor but I ultimately started using it more and more for games.  Awhile back I downloaded a C64 emulator through which you can run just about any software that they made for the C64 from HERE.  While it was amusing to turn back the clock at first, I quickly grew tired of it and realized that I didn't miss it as much as I thought, haha.

Middle school came and it was more Apple IIe exposure even though it was somewhat outdated.  High school came and that began my first experience with DOS and IBM-compatible computers.  I owned PCs for the rest of my time from high school all the way through college.  In college I learned Fortran as part of my Engineering courses and then I took some C, C++, and Visual Basic(.net wasn't available yet) courses.

My computers since 1995 have had Windows operating systems ranging from Windows 95 to my current PC with Windows 7 (I skipped over Vista, thanks goodness).

It'll be good to review a lot of this information about hardware, operating systems, etc as I rarely get a chance to play around with those types of things nowadays.

2 comments:

  1. I liked to hear about your GT exposure to computers. My sister was a "boy scout" since girl scouts didn't have programming. I learned about programming from her. She learned machine language, FORTRAN, ALGOL, and COBOL. I'm glad when I went to college I only needed COBOL and BASIC.

    What I remember most about the Commodore and Apple era is that it took a long time to load programs from storage (either cassette or floppy disk.) I also remember trading drives on Apples to determine if a problem was the drive or computer.

    I liked the program on the Machintosh LE that taught how to use the mouse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have many fond memories of Oregon Trail from the summer school computer program I was able to take at Lincoln Elementary in Hartford. I also didn't think I remembered any BASIC, but I recognized Color=Green right away. The most distinct memory I have of that entire summer is of a rocket I programmed to "take off" and fly up and off the screen. It had several colors, and the year I took the class they had just added color monitors which was amazing compared to the old green.

    ReplyDelete